Thursday, October 8, 2009

Favorite. TV. Wedding. Ever

After 5 long years, Jim and Pam finally got married. I appreciate the writing staff for not doing the "Ross/Rachel 10 year shuffle" and just giving the two lovebirds their due. More than that though, it was actually worth the wait.

After watching it, I can't help but wonder how good it could have possibly been a year ago... or a year from now. It's blatant (and hilarious) use of a current pop culture phenomenon makes the whole thing seem like it was just Meant to happen this year. What video could have been used a year ago? Will there be anything as "appropriate" in the year to come? I doubt it, and that makes the entire affair all the better.

As great as the episode was (Kevin's shoe funk, Dwight gettin' his swerve on, Michael actually Not being the one who spills the beans to Me-Maw) I have to admit that I was disappointed in the episode for a while. Andy hurting himself Again just didn't do it for me... the lack of Creed, the missed opportunities of uncomfortable behavior between Michael and Stanley's wife considering what happened in the first episode of the season, and all of the vomit (I'm just not a vomit fan... can't even watch Stand By Me and I Love that movie) all left me wondering if this episode was going to live up to my lofty expectations. When I go back and watch this episode again (and in future years) I'm sure that I'll be much more impressed, but during my intitial viewing, I was concerned.

Then came the last ten minutes. Every single second of the last ten minutes or so is perfection and it became my favorite episode of The Office ever. This show has had more than a few classic episodes and whether this is the best ever, who can say, all that I know is that when all is said and done I will have seen this one more than any other. I'm watching it twice a day until Jim and Pam get back from their honeymoon.

Speaking of which, I'm going to go watch it again now.

No comments: