Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Great Night of Telvision

September 9th, 2009 or 09/09/09 if you prefer, ended up being a very good night in the world of television and a great way to start off the new fall season. And it was all about two things: Glee and American Idol.

The premiere, or second episode if you prefer, of Glee shows that it definitely is not a one-hit wonder. It was just as sweet and funny as the pilot episode and a breath of fresh air on television. What didn't I like? The shaky cam being used at the beginning of the episode in the principal's office. I Hate shaky cam. I have a 21 year vomit-free streak and it's annoying that at times I have to turn away from some television programs and at Bourne movies just to continue said streak. Now, what did I love? Everything else. I am going to have to go back and watch this episode at least one more time because there are always humorous things going on in the background (the titles of the pamphlets that Rachel passes by for example) Jane Lynch is fantastic as always and the way that the songs are integrated into the story being told is absolutely brilliant. I'm looking forward to seeing what else this show brings to the table this season.

Secondly, as reported here Ellen Degeneres is joining American Idol as the permanent fourth judge. Now, I have never been a big fan of American Idol though I have watched at least a handful of episodes every season... but this season I'm in for the entire run. From the tone-deaf-and-oblivious-about-it and/or attention whorish auditions to the often mean-spirited comments during the middle stages (usually by Simon) to the fantastic performances squirreled away in between hours of mediocrity towards the end of the season... I'm in for it all. The fact that I enjoy Ellen's daytime talk show has nothing to do with it. The fact that I own her last stand-up dvd "Here and Now" and bought it because I think that it's one of the best all-around routines ever done has nothing to do with it. Why am I in? And why is someone who was never in the music business at any level hired anyway? I'm betting the answer for the two questions are both the same. Late last season on So You Think You Can Dance, Ellen was on as a guest host. And she was hilarious. She only spoke positive things about the performers (like Paula) but was humorous and gracious to each performer... and coherent (not like Paula) so for me it's an upgrade. She can essentially do the same thing that Paula has been (although the flirting with Simon will probably be out... maybe) except more entertaining. Ok, well more intentionally entertaining, I'll say it that way. Don't get me wrong, I Like Paula... had a crush on her back in the day, I've always liked that she was bringing the positive on a sometimes cruelly negative program, but I just think that Ellen will be better at it.

I do hope that Paula moves on to So You Think You Can Dance though, I am very curious about seeing her in something that is more her element.

Fantastic night all around... could have only been better if FlashForward, Fringe, Dollhouse and Lost could have all premiered on this night also. Though I'd probably have to imbibe enough caffeine to make Steven Wright have a facial expression in order to do so.

No comments: