Sunday, September 6, 2009

Appreciating Angel

The first television program that ever really grabbed my attention was "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". That show is what made me start watching others until I eventually became the tv watching freak that I am today. As a "Buffy" fan, I've always had an affection for it's spin-off "Angel" as well though I never liked it as much as the original.

So, this past month I went back and watched season 1 of "Angel" and it's Far better than I remember. It's still pretty schizophrenic regarding tone and the struggle to assert it's own identity is still evident, but most of the episodes are actually very good. I'd never considered the dialogue to be as crisp as on "Buffy", and it isn't but that doesn't mean that it still isn't very good. The Doyle twist midway through the season was revolutionary and the action was mostly very good. I'd recommend it to anyone and the wonderful thing about it is that you can go to Target and buy the first two seasons of "Angel" for $20. Not each. $20 gets you Both of the first two seasons. And then you can shell out another $20 and get seasons 3 and 4. Maybe some will be offended by this wonderful pricing because they paid full price back in the day ($160 then vs. $40 now) but one of my season 1 Buffy dvd's got a scratch on it and I was able to replace it for $15 instead of $40 or so, so I love it. I hope this trend keeps up.

No comments: