Sunday, January 24, 2010

My 2nd Favorite DVD Series...? What!

So, if I was trapped on a desert island and could only take one television series dvd with me... it'd be The Wire. Obviously. But, my second choice? No, it really wouldn't be Lost because that's the last thing that I'd want to watch if I actually Was stranded on a desert island... nightmares of polar bears, smoke monsters and four-toed statues would be a bit much.

Actually, my 2nd choice would be Psych... and there's honestly no third option even close. I have recently "discovered" these dvd's over the holidays and personally I think they are fantastic. I love the television show as it is, but watching them in a row (as opposed to the way that USA airs them where it seems like every year has 7 season premieres and 7 season finales) it becomes apparent that there are actually quite a few running gags and references to past episodes. And I love both of those things.

Also, the creator of the series, Steve Franks, does some very fun commentaries with the stars, James Roday and Dule Hill. The commentaries are informative enough to be interesting, but fun enough not to be boring. Although, they generally are more funny than informative. Not that I'm complaining. Maybe it's because I'm of the age that I love the same 80's and early 90's movies and music that they reference so often in the show, or maybe it's just that, as a guy, I completely understand the Shawn/Gus dynamic and enjoy seeing their friendship on screen. Whatever it is, I really enjoy the television show, and absolutely love the dvd's. The commentaries, deleted scenes, outtakes... they're all great. I just wish that the Psych-outs that air at the end of each episode were on the dvd's (my favorite of which is here. That might even make them pass The Wire on my list then.

Well no, probably not. But still.

No comments: